Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Ring Triumphs over Stupidity... Twice!

I have to admit, sometimes I'm stupid. I know, we all are a little stupid everyonce in a while. But this takes the cake for me, at least in recent memory.  I lost my ring. My FAVORITE ring. The one I bought myself after 6 months of looking so I wouldn't feel naked without a ring on A finger. And then I found it. And lost it again. And found it again. All in one week. How did this happen you ask? Pure stupidity.


Friday I left work and headed out to Sams where I bought a great fall coat for next to nothing, then headed home. I futzed around a bit then noticed my ring was not on my hand where it should be. So I checked the bathroom counter and the kitchen counter where I would likely put it if I was going to wash my hands (I hate it when my finger stays wet under my ring). No ring. I looked again. Finally after a bit of panic, I hoped back in the car and fought rush hour traffic (of course there was an accident) and hurried (at 14 mph) back to school. Checked the staff bathroom, no ring. Contemplated digging in the trash can, but fortunately decided against it. Instead, brokenhearted, I went back to my classroom and put out an embarrasing heartfelt plea for anyone who had been in the staff bathroom that might have picked up my ring to please return it to me. Saturday I spent time trying to find an exact replacement for it (yep, thats how much I love my ring). No luck. Sunday I drove to Lake of the Ozarks in the rain to shop to try and feel better about my missing ring. It didn't work, but I was becoming resigned to the fact that it was gone.

Monday morning after not sleeping most of the night (laundry at 3:30am? it was something to do...), I got ready for work and was ready to head out the door when I noticed I still had my lunch bag in my school bag. I reached in and guess what fell out? MY RING!!!! Happy happy, Joy joy!! Snoopy Dance all over! Put that sucker on a finger that it barely would go on so it wouldn't come off (maybe not the best idea). Smiles all around!

But wait. Didn't I say I lost it again? Yeah, well I was baking today and I always take my ring off when I'm working with dough. Usually I put it in my wine bottle coaster, but there was a bottle in it already, so back pocket it went. Forgot to take it out when I decided to wash my jeans (I really should start to wear an apron). Didn't realize I had lost it again until I moved the laundry into the dryer and it clanked around in the bottom of the washing maching. Duhhhhh.
 My ring is now back where it belongs. Hopefully there will be no more adventures for my ring, although I'm sure this was mildly entertaining to you (looking back, it was for me).

Happy Thanksgiving to you. I have baked 4 dozen dinner rolls (can never have enough bread!).  I found a great quick recipe on the King Arthur Flour bakers banter site. I will warn you, the dough is powerful strong- it lifted my 5 quart mixing bowl that I was using as a proofing box right off the counter.



Here's the link: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2011/11/18/big-batch-yeast-rolls-baking-buns-for-a-crowd/
If you make them, send me a comment about how your's turned out.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you found your ring...twice... We always cheat and use the frozen rolls...the kind you let rise in your own pan and pass off as "homemade"..

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!