Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

English Muffins

One of the many benefits of not sleeping late is it's cool enough to bake at 4am in Saint Louis. I've been craving a good bacon and avacado sandwich, and the best thing to have that on is a fresh toasted english muffin.
Mis en place


Combine the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast. Then add in the butter and buttermilk. Knead by hand (if you're a traditionalist) or using the stand mixer (if you got it, use it!) until a soft, tacky but not sticky, dough forms (8 min in the mixer, 10-12 by hand). 

 
See that beautiful silky dough? Wanted to take a picture of the windowpane effect that shows the gluten development, but I'm lacking that elusive third hand. You'll just have to trust me. Let the dough rise for an hour or so until doubled.


After the first rise, portion the dough out equally, shape into boules and set on a bed of cornmeal (and sprinkle the tops with cornmeal for good measure). I didn't do such a good job keeping them the same size, but I didn't want to get crazy with the scale. Sometimes its just better to eyeball something. Cover and let rise again.


Nice second rise!



On to an electric griddle for 5 minutes a side. They will brown quickly, but it will take a while for them to burn. Don't be tempted to flatten them out, you'll loose all the beautiful crumb structure that the air pockets are forming.



Check it out, the flip side! After frying both sides, stick in the oven at 350 for about 8 minutes to make sure they have baked all the way through.  Yummmmmm!

Think I have to run to the store to get an avacado now....

 


2 comments:

  1. I love your blog! Didn't know you had one. I'm so jealous you got to go to Montana - someplace I dream about visiting. Not jealous you had a fight with a deer. Glad you fared better than your car. Great pictures. John makes bread, too. I'll bring you a copy of his Honey Oat bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Moly! How fun is this? It's officially on the to do list! Yay!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!