Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Balsamic Peaches and Cherries

One of the things I like best about summer
(ok, my favorite thing next to summer vacation)
is farmers markets and all the goodness I can create from the spoils of my visits.
St Louis has a ridiculous number of farmers markets,
so many that if I went to two different markets every week
 I still would not make it to all of them.
Today I headed west to check out the Lake St Louis Farmers Market.
It used to be closer, in O'Fallon at the ballpark, but moved
(this year, last year? I'm not sure).
So much fun to see old friends Farmer Gene and Lindaand their great meats, eggs,
 and yellow tomatoes,
and Farmer Bill and his amazing cherry tomatoes
(black and yellow, got the black this week, very meaty!)
and to chat bread with him (he makes a good foccacia) and the other bakers.
New friends today, chatted up a farming couple about their orange beets,
I suspect they will have grilled beets on the table tonight
after I shared that particular yummy prep idea.

The best part?
It was raining!!!!!
Boy do we need some more of that.

So I got home and was inspired to do something with my Calhoun County peaches
and this is what I came up with:

Balsamic Peaches and Cherries.


Super easy to make:
Combine a half pound of pitted and halved cherries with
2 Tbsp of sugar and
2 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar
in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
While that is getting happy (stir occasionally while it boils, 5 minutes)
slice up a pound of peaches and put in a bowl.

After the cherries, sugar, and balsamic vinegar boil for 5 minutes
pour over the peachs and combine.

Then jar it up!
Because you are not really "canning" this, it will last in the fridge for about 3-5 days.
But really, it will be gone in less than two.
Soooo good over oatmeal in the morning and ice cream any time of day!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!